Osteopathy is a manual therapy developed by American doctor Andrew Taylor Still in the late 1800s. It is based on three key principles:
- The body is a unit, with all parts inter-related including mind, body and spiriit
- The body has the capacity to heal itself given the right environment
- Structure and function are reciprocally inter-related – if something does not have the correct form, it will not work properly and vice versa
Through these principles, osteopaths work with patients to encourage full function of the whole body, including muscles, bones, ligaments, connective tissues (fascia), nerves and blood vessels. Treatment does not involve surgery or medication. Instead, treatments typically combine massage, stretching, resistance exercises, joint mobilisation and adjustments. Exercises and other forms of advice may also be prescribed to provide longer effects of treatment. Because osteopaths treat the cause of the pain rather than just the site, we focus on long term health and making lifestyle changes that improve and maintain your health. You will not be alone in your recovery journey – we will be with you every step of the way!
On your first visit, Lauren will conduct a full consultation and assessment. She will discuss your aims and needs with you to ensure that your treatment is tailored to your goals. Should correspondence with or referral to other professions such as your GP be required, this will be done with your full consent.
Appointments in clinic are available at:
- Kings Gym, Waddon, Surrey
- The Surrey Clinic, Wallington, Surrey
- Therapy and Life Centre, Coulsdon, Surrey.
Lauren works most evenings and weekends so getting an appointment at a time that suits you is never a problem. If you have any other questions, call Lauren on 07840130294 or use our contact form.